Baked Matcha Mochi Donuts
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Aiya Matcha, an awesome premium matcha brand. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own. Thanks for supporting me and the brands that help make Jen’s Food Lab possible!
- 1 3/4 cups (230g) glutinous or sweet rice flour
- I used the Mochiko brand glutinous rice flour, but any brand should work.
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons matcha
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12.5 oz coconut milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- You can also substitute in coconut oil instead.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
This recipe makes approximately 24 donuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease your donut pan.
- First, in the bowl of a stand mixer, add glutinous rice flour, sugar, matcha, baking powder, and salt.
- Then, add coconut milk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until evenly combined and completely smooth.
- Pour the batter into a large plastic Ziploc bag or piping bag. Cut a hole in one of the corners and pipe the batter into the donut pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the tops of the donuts are golden brown. These donuts taste best straight out of the oven.
Baked Matcha Mochi Donuts is the perfect way to make deliciously chewy mochi donuts without the pain of frying them. Mochi donuts have been all over the place lately with all kinds of flavors and shapes, but what they all do have in common is that they have this unique chewy texture compared to your regular donut. Since I hate pulling out enough oil to deep fry, I decided to come up with a baked version, amp up the gooeyness of the chewniess, and crisp up the outside. The end result is amazing! When you bite in, you get this initial crisp that gives way to a chewy and gooey center that I have a ton of fun pulling apart. Of course, the highlighted flavor is one of my favorites, matcha, which gives the interior a beautiful green color. Let me know in the comments below if you made this Baked Matcha Mochi Donuts and how it went!
If you’d like to support me and my food journey, buy some of my cute Asian food inspired stickers! (More pricing options here.)
Jen’s Food Lab Combo Pack
Get the best of both worlds with two of each sticker! You’ll receive two Dim Sum Board stickers and two Asian FOOD stickers.