Matcha Coconut Sticky Rice Rice Krispies Treats
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Aiya Matcha, an awesome premium matcha brand. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own. Thanks for supporting me and the brands that help make Jen’s Food Lab possible!
- 2 cups glutinous or sweet rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons Aiya Culinary Grade Matcha
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- You can also use butter or a flavorless oil here.
- 2 cups (10oz) marshmallows
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
This recipe makes approximately 12 treats.
- First, let’s start with the sticky rice. Rinse the rice in water twice. Then, soak the glutinous or sweet rice in water preferably overnight. If you’re in a rush, you could probably get away with soaking it for about 2 hours, but it wouldn’t be ideal.
- Once the glutinous rice is soaked, in a rice cooker, add soaked rice and water. Turn on your rice cooker and cook! I use the white rice setting on my rice cooker.
- Now, let’s make the matcha and coconut syrup. In a medium saucepan, add coconut milk and sugar. Cook on medium heat until everything is evenly combined.
- In two separate bowls, separate the mixture in half. In one half, whisk in the matcha until evenly combined.
- Add half of the cooked sticky rice to each bowl of syrup and stir until the syrup is fully incorporated into the sticky rice. You should have one bowl of matcha sticky rice and one bowl of just coconut sticky rice. Set aside.
- Line a square pan with parchment paper. I used an 8 inch square pan.
- In a large pot, add coconut oil and turn on medium low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are all melted.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal to the marshmallows and stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour the Rice Krispies mixture into the baking pan. Using a spatula, press the mixture down until it’s evenly distributed and flat.
- Then, add in the coconut sticky rice and spread it on top of the Rice Krispies layer. Using a spatula, press the mixture down until it’s evenly distributed and flat.
- To get the heart shapes in my photo, on a piece of parchment paper, add the matcha sticky rice. Using a spatula, press the mixture down until it’s evenly distributed and flat. It should be able a 1/2 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out 12 little heart shapes. Place those shapes on top of the coconut sticky rice. If you’re feeling lazy, just press the matcha sticky rice top of the coconut sticky rice.
- Take the treats out of the baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut into 12 bars. Optionally, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and you’re done!
Matcha Coconut Sticky Rice Rice Krispie Treats is my unique twist on two desserts that I love, Rice Krispies treats and sticky rice. We have Rice Krispies treats that were a staple in everyone’s lunchbox back in elementary school because who doesn’t love the crunchy and stickiness sweet treat? Then, we have sticky rice, which is this gooey and sticky staple in my household and is especially popular when served with fruits like mango. That got me thinking! Why not combine the two? Since they both have super similar characteristics (both sticky!), but adds their unique textures as well (one crunchy and one gooey)! I’m super proud of how these no-bake treats turned out, especially how it represents my Asian American experience together into one treat. The matcha adds a beautiful color and flavor that enhances the coconut. Make sure you use good matcha, so the flavor really shines and just emphasizes the texture explosion in your mouth. Let me know in the comments below if you made this Matcha Coconut Sticky Rice Rice Krispie Treats and how it went!