Salted Egg Yolk Chiffon Cake
Ingredients for chiffon cake
- 4 large eggs (with egg whites and yolks separated)
- Make sure you keep the egg whites in the fridge to keep them cold, but the egg yolks should be at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (84g) all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons (10g) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm milk
- I actually used 1 tablespoon heavy cream and 1 tablespoon water, but you should be able to substitute with any kind of milk here, like whole milk, oat milk, coconut milk, etc.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- You can substitute with other flavors too. If the extract is the liquid kind, use 1/2 teaspoon. If it’s more the gel kind, you should use just 3-4 drops.
Ingredients for salted egg yolk filling
- 4 cooked salted egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (25g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla pudding powder
- 1/4 cup melted white chocolate
This makes approximately a dozen cupcakes. You can also use ramekins too.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- First, let’s make the roll cake. In a large bowl, add egg yolks and whisk until evenly mixed. Add half of the sugar and whisk until the mixture has approximately doubled in volume. I hand-whisked for approximately 7 minutes. The mixture should be a lighter yellow color and be at a ribbon stage (when you lift the whisk up, the mixture should fall back into the bowl in ribbons that will hold its shape until disappearing back into the mixture).
- In bowl of a stand mixer, add cold egg whites and beat on low speed until foamy (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the other half of the sugar over 2 separate times and beat on medium high speed until the egg whites reach stiff peaks (approximately 7 minutes). Make sure to keep checking the egg whites to not overbeat them.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Gently hand whisk until evenly combined.
- Add the egg yolk and egg white mixture back into the egg whites. Using a silicon spatula, gently fold in the egg whites until evenly combined.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. I sifted these dry ingredients together first, but you can omit this step if you’d like. Using a silicon spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients until evenly combined.
- Add lukewarm milk and vanilla extract. Using a silicon spatula, gently fold until evenly combined.
- Now, it’s time to make the salted egg yolk filling. In a bowl, mix together salted egg yolks, sugar, vanilla pudding powder, and melted white chocolate until evenly combined. Pulse in the microwave for 10 seconds. Split this mixture in half.
- Using just half of the salted egg yolk filling, spoon a spoonful of filling into the bottom of each cupcake tin. Pour the batter into the cupcake tin on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- Using the rest of the salted egg yolk filling, spoon a spoonful of filling on top of each cupcake. You’re done!
Salted Egg Yolk Chiffon Cake is an awesome dessert if you love the mix of salty and sweet all in one dessert. The star is obviously the salted egg yolk, which is made fresh, not from any powder or anything, but straight from cooked salted egg yolk. The white chocolate really complements the salted egg yolk and also adds a nice smooth texture. Since we add it to both the bottom of the cake and also add it on top later, it sandwiches the fluffy chiffon cake really well. The chiffon cake is super light and fluffy, which makes you want to just tear into it with the gooey salted egg yolk filling on top dripping down. Let me know if you try out my recipe for this Salted Egg Yolk Chiffon Cake in the comments below!
23 thoughts on “Salted Egg Yolk Chiffon Cake”
This is a new one for me. I’ve never heard of a salted egg yolk cake, but its got me drooling all over my keyboard….sigh
definitely on my must bake list!!
Oh yum! What a pretty and delicious looking dessert! Thanks for the recipe!
This is a fun recipe to try. I’ve been wanting to experience with salted egg yolk as we usually have it with a steamed bun. But chiffon cake sounds so much better!
I love everything about this salted egg yolk chiffon cake recipe, but your images make me want to dive through my screen to get it. Perfect!
This looks delicious! I’ve never had salted egg yolk chiffon cake but I am so excited to make it. Love that it’s individual servings.
I’ve never tried anything like this before but wow – it looks delicious! That salted egg yolk looks so creamy.
Looks like a good and tasty cake, I will definitely making this for everyone and hope they will like it.
I have never heard of a salted egg cake but I am intrigued. I must try it.
What a delicious dessert and the salted egg yolk sounds amazing, thanks for sharing.
I’ve never used salted egg yolk but these chiffon cakes look fabulous. Definitely one to try!
What a gorgeous cake! It came out so light and fluffy and I’m a big fan of this recipe. Will totally make again.
I love the combination of flavors (especially the sweet and salty part!) I’ve never tried anything like this before but definitely can’t wait to try
This is a new recipe to me, but it sounds delicious, and I even have some little ramekins like the ones in your pictures to try it in.
Whoa…this looks very impressive! I’m impressed with the flavors used. I love a good sweet and salty treat. This looks divine!
This is so creative. Have never heard of salted egg yoke cake. I would love to try this soon for my family. Yummy.
I’ve never had salted egg yolk cake. What a unique and interesting combination!
I’ve never tried a Chiffon Cake before. This looks delicious and now I can’t wait to give it a try.
This is a totally new recipe to me – but it sounds and looks absolutely delicious! I actually have those exact same ramekins at my house, so it is even more of a sign that I need to make this ASAP. I love a good salty / sweet combination!
This salted egg yolk chiffon cake is gorgeous, delicious, and so unique! Such a hit in our house!
I love salted egg so this is right up my alley! Love the complex flavors here – yum!
What a gorgeous looking chiffon cake. Love how you baked them individually in ramekins. Salted egg flavors sound brilliant in the cake.
OMG, can I say that when I first saw this my mouth dropped open. This salted egg yolk chiffon cake looks mouth-watering and just simple to die for! I pinned this for later use since I have all the ingredients, which I am glad. Thank you for sharing this recipe.!
Never heard of egg yolk chiffon cake. This looks gorgeous and sounds interesting. Like to know how it will taste.