Matcha Boba Waffles and Ice Cream with Matcha Glaze
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Aiya Matcha, an awesome premium matcha brand. All images and opinions expressed are solely my own. Thanks for supporting me and the brands that help make Jen’s Food Lab possible!
Ingredients for the matcha waffles
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Aiya Culinary Grade Matcha
- 2 cups (256g) all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Ingredients for the boba
- 1 cup tapioca pearls
- 2 tablespoons honey
Ingredients for the ice cream and matcha glaze
- 6 large scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Aiya Culinary Grade Matcha
This recipe makes approximately 6 waffles.
- First, let’s make the waffles. In a bowl of a stand mixer, add eggs, melted butter, milk, sugar, and salt. Mix on low speed to combine.
- Then, add matcha, flour, and baking powder. Mix again on medium speed until a smooth batter comes together.
- Pour your batter onto the waffle iron and cook according to its instructions. For mine, to make 1 waffle, it usually takes me 5-7 minutes to get both sides to be golden. Set aside the waffles to cool to room temperature.
- Next, let’s make the boba. Fill a large pot with water and set to high heat. Once the water is boiling, add the tapioca pearls. Boil uncovered for 30 minutes. Then, turn the heat off and cover the pot. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the honey into a bowl. Drain the water from the tapioca pearls and add the cooked tapioca pearls to the honey. Mix to combine and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Now, let’s make the matcha glaze. In a microwave safe bowl, add the white chocolate chips and oil. Microwave until melted. For me, this took 30 seconds. Add matcha and mix to combine.
- Finally, it’s time to assemble! Place a waffle on a plate. Then add your scoop of ice cream. Surround the ice cream with some of the boba. Then, drizzle the matcha glaze on top of the ice cream. It will quickly harden into a shell in a few minutes. Enjoy!
Matcha Boba Waffles and Ice Cream with Matcha Glaze is the perfect indulgent breakfast or dessert and it’s full of matcha flavor in every single bite! First, let’s talk about the waffle. This waffle is super fluffy with a slightly crunch exterior and rich matcha flavor, which makes it a perfect bite. Then, we have the chewiness of the boba, which is flavored with honey to add a bit of sweetness. Finally, we have the vanilla ice cream and matcha glaze that hardens into a shell, so you have that crunchiness and creaminess there too. A total mix of all these textures and strong matcha flavors that complement the sweetness with every bit. Let me know in the comments below if you made this Matcha Boba Waffles and Ice Cream with Matcha Glaze and how it went!
If you’d like to support me and my food journey, buy some of my cute Asian food inspired stickers! (More pricing options here.)
Jen’s Food Lab Combo Pack
Get the best of both worlds with two of each sticker! You’ll receive two Dim Sum Board stickers and two Asian FOOD stickers.