Dalgona Toffee Dalgona Coffee (Honeycomb Toffee, Sponge Candy)
Ingredients for dalgona toffee
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (85g) honey
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
Ingredients for dalgona coffee
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup milk
For the Dalgona toffee, make sure you’re using a pot or saucepan that is at least a medium or large size. Once the baking soda is added the toffee expands significantly (probably like 7x). The baking soda is super important because that creates the honeycomb structure of the toffee.
- First, let’s make the dalgona toffee! Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper slightly.
- In a medium or large pot, add sugar and honey. Stir continuously and cook on medium high heat until it starts to bubble.
- Once it starts to bubble, watch very carefully as it starts to brown. When the syrup has thickened and reached a golden amber color (about 7-10 minutes), add the baking soda quickly. Stir immediately to dissolve the baking soda as quickly as possible. At this point, the mixture should start to bubble and expand.
- Then, stop stirring and let the mixture cook for about another 15 seconds or until the color deepens into an orange color. It’s important to stop stirring so that you don’t get rid of the air bubbles that make the honeycomb texture.
- Very carefully, pour the mixture onto the prepared parchment paper and gently smooth the toffee to flatten. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Once the toffee has cooled, break up the toffee into pieces. I just used my hands for this.
- Now, let’s make the dalgona coffee. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add coffee, sugar, and boiling water. Whisk together (about 10 minutes by hand) until the liquid changes to a light brown color and has a whipped consistency.
- In a glass, add milk and then scoop the dalgona coffee on top. Then, garnish with your broken pieces of dalgona toffee on top. You’re done!
Dalgona Toffee Dalgona Coffee (Honeycomb Toffee, Sponge Candy) is a tale of two dalgonas. I decided to make my take on the viral dalgona coffee TikTok trend in order to pay homage to the original inspiration, dalgona toffee. No, it’s not a typo haha, but I thought it was a nice play on words and history, so I figured I’d combine the two!
Apparently, dalgona coffee was actually inspired by the deep rich taste of this honeycomb candy that is called dalgona in Korea, which I didn’t know when dalgona coffee first went viral. I can see why these one would see the similarities between both, since they both “bubble” up to have this airy texture and also have this rich deep flavor that is different than regular toffee or coffee on its own.
Making dalgona toffee is also just a lot of fun and super easy, since the addition of the baking soda makes the whole mixture swell up with bubble, which helps it just melt in your mouth when eating it. Try out making both “dalgonas,” help me make the OG dalgona go viral, and let me know what you think in the comments below!
2 thoughts on “Dalgona Toffee Dalgona Coffee (Honeycomb Toffee, Sponge Candy)”
Omg, just made this… so easy and SO tasty!!! I’m going to make this for Christmas gifts this holiday season!!! Much easier than some of the other goodies I have made in the past!!! Thank you for posting!!!