Salted Egg Yolk Chiffon Cake
Ingredients for chiffon cake
- 4 large eggs (with egg whites and yolks separated)
- Make sure you keep the egg whites in the fridge to keep them cold, but the egg yolks should be at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (84g) all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons (10g) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm milk
- I actually used 1 tablespoon heavy cream and 1 tablespoon water, but you should be able to substitute with any kind of milk here, like whole milk, oat milk, coconut milk, etc.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- You can substitute with other flavors too. If the extract is the liquid kind, use 1/2 teaspoon. If it’s more the gel kind, you should use just 3-4 drops.
Ingredients for salted egg yolk filling
- 4 cooked salted egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (25g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla pudding powder
- 1/4 cup melted white chocolate
This makes approximately a dozen cupcakes. You can also use ramekins too.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- First, let’s make the roll cake. In a large bowl, add egg yolks and whisk until evenly mixed. Add half of the sugar and whisk until the mixture has approximately doubled in volume. I hand-whisked for approximately 7 minutes. The mixture should be a lighter yellow color and be at a ribbon stage (when you lift the whisk up, the mixture should fall back into the bowl in ribbons that will hold its shape until disappearing back into the mixture).
- In bowl of a stand mixer, add cold egg whites and beat on low speed until foamy (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add the other half of the sugar over 2 separate times and beat on medium high speed until the egg whites reach stiff peaks (approximately 7 minutes). Make sure to keep checking the egg whites to not overbeat them.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Gently hand whisk until evenly combined.
- Add the egg yolk and egg white mixture back into the egg whites. Using a silicon spatula, gently fold in the egg whites until evenly combined.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. I sifted these dry ingredients together first, but you can omit this step if you’d like. Using a silicon spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients until evenly combined.
- Add lukewarm milk and vanilla extract. Using a silicon spatula, gently fold until evenly combined.
- Now, it’s time to make the salted egg yolk filling. In a bowl, mix together salted egg yolks, sugar, vanilla pudding powder, and melted white chocolate until evenly combined. Pulse in the microwave for 10 seconds. Split this mixture in half.
- Using just half of the salted egg yolk filling, spoon a spoonful of filling into the bottom of each cupcake tin. Pour the batter into the cupcake tin on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- Using the rest of the salted egg yolk filling, spoon a spoonful of filling on top of each cupcake. You’re done!
Salted Egg Yolk Chiffon Cake is an awesome dessert if you love the mix of salty and sweet all in one dessert. The star is obviously the salted egg yolk, which is made fresh, not from any powder or anything, but straight from cooked salted egg yolk. The white chocolate really complements the salted egg yolk and also adds a nice smooth texture. Since we add it to both the bottom of the cake and also add it on top later, it sandwiches the fluffy chiffon cake really well. The chiffon cake is super light and fluffy, which makes you want to just tear into it with the gooey salted egg yolk filling on top dripping down. Let me know if you try out my recipe for this Salted Egg Yolk Chiffon Cake in the comments below!